Re: virus' on the list

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 12:39:33PM +0800, jqdkf@army.com wrote:

(snip quote)

> As we use Debian, I don't think there is the need for any company to
> protect us. As far as I know, linux is immune to any virus, and that's
> the main reason why I don't want to install windows on my machine.

WRONG !!! Linux is not immune to any virus !!!
The only things we can say is : on a Linux system under *appropriate* utilisation
by *users and administrator(s)*, a virus can't propagate through users.
But, if the virus is not a virus, but a worm, nobody's fully protected !
Linux, as other software (hmmm, less than winblow), is not 100% secure, some exploits
stay in the kernel, and must be detected and patched by a developer before any cracker.
Second thing : Un*x users are generally more knowledge on computers (so, in security also).

I don't have accessible good links about this topic, but Google is your friend ;o).

Sorry for my (very) bad english. I hope you understand the genereal idea.