Prevent X Windows Starting up

Hi,

I have an install of the unstable distribution with a 2.4 Kernel. When I
boot up, my keyboard and mouse become disabled as soon as the log in
manager displays.

Can you tell me how to stop x-windows from starting during the boot
process so that I can try and find the cause of the issue. I cannot
disable x windows from the command line because I can never get in.

If you have any clues as to what might be causing my keyboard to disable
in the first place, I would be very grateful to hear them.

Many Thanks
Sarah

--
Sarah Forbes
Web Programmer

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor may it be copied in any way. If you are not the addressee indicated in the message, (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to internet emails of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of this organisation shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. We Believe, But do not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments, are virus free. You should take full responsibility for virus checking