Re: Prevent X Windows Starting up

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 14:58, Sarah Forbes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an install of the unstable distribution with a 2.4 Kernel. When I
> boot up, my keyboard and mouse become disabled as soon as the log in
> manager displays.
>
> Can you tell me how to stop x-windows from starting during the boot
> process so that I can try and find the cause of the issue. I cannot
> disable x windows from the command line because I can never get in.

This sort of thing is one of the reasons I always use a text login.  IIRC,
what I did to prevent X starting was the brute-force method of unlinking all
the kdm, gdm, xdm links in /etc/rc2.d.  That should do it, if no more elegant
approach is suggested.

> If you have any clues as to what might be causing my keyboard to disable
> in the first place, I would be very grateful to hear them.

That'll need someone more expert than me...

HTH

--
richard