Re: other debian installer tactic?

On Tuesday 26 Aug 2003 12:55 pm, debjan@gmx.de wrote:
> >It seems that a lot of people have troubles with the Debian installer.
> >Once you know it well it can do what you want: tasksel is simple,
> >dselect is powerful. Refuse to use them and you have a very minimal
> >system that you can tune a lot.
>
> the minimal system thing and the opportunity to do what you want is what
> made me switch to debian. i hate em automatic installers that do things i
> don't know about. that's why i don't like SuSE and all that lot...
> for all em users that "don't want to know why their computer works" there
> should of course be another option than switching to Mac OS...

I find  that with debian you only have to do one install and then apt-get
upgrade keeps you up to date. with SuSE and Red Hat you have to install the
next version to get latest software. This is why I moved to debian. I find
tasksel too clumsy to use and if I was installing again I would just install
a minimal system. synaptic is easier to use than dselect so if you run X all
the time you should use it.

pete