Re: Help Please!!

William Bradley wrote:

On Monday 25 August 2003 11:09 pm, Kent West wrote:
Mostly likely the protocol is wrong. I don't remember; is this a wheel
mouse? If so, try "fuimps2". You can also type "help" when asked for the
type during "gpmconfig" for a list of other protocols to try. Experiment
and see if you get any motion.

If we had web cams you could see an old geezer dancing a slightly arthritic jig. Clicked on "help" as you suggested. Tried one, forget which, did not work, and then I tried "fuimps2" and tested it. Bumped the mouse accidentally and it moved. Nearly fell off my chair!! After five days, there finally is movement.
What is next, restart X windows?

Whoo-hoo!

Okay, make sure that gpm is configured to repeat "raw" (either edit /etc/gpm.conf, or better, re-run gpmconfig).

Then run "dpkg-reconfigure xfree86-server" (or is it "xfree86-common"? I can never remember) and when you get to the mouse location section, set it to /etc/gpmdata instead of /etc/psaux. (You'd leave it at /etc/psaux if you weren't running gpm.)

That should fix your mouse issue in X. Now you can remove the "exit 0" from "/etc/init.d/[xwgk]dm" and either reboot or run "/etc/init.d/[xwgk]dm start" to take you back to your graphical login screen.

Hopefully you're all set to go now.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)