Re: Help Please!!

William Bradley wrote:

On Monday 25 August 2003 06:10 pm, Kent West wrote:

Sorry; I guess I didn't make myself clear. Forget completely about X for
now; in fact, you might want to even disable the graphical login screen
(add "exit 0" as the first non-comment line in the appropriate script:
/etc/init.d/gdm or kdm or xdm or wdm and then reboot). Get the mouse
working in the non-X console first via gpm. Once that's working, then
you can worry about X.

Did the above, X is now disabled and boots to the command line.

If I remember correctly, you said this mouse works fine in Windows on
the same box. I guess that means the mouse has not been
unplugged/replugged, with the attendant possibilities of broken/bent
pins, bad connection, etc?

I turned off both of my machines, and took the PS/2 scroll mouse off the Mandrake unit, and installed it on the dual boot Debian unit. Then booted them both up again. The one that I took off the Debian unit, that was not working there, worked fine on the Mandrake unit. The one I took off the Mandrake machine is stationary on the Debian unit.

In the text console, using gpm, you should see a white rectangle as your
mouse pointer. It should function just as a pointer should, only it'll
be rectangular instead of pointy. Do not try to configure gpm from
within X! Get out of X completely to do this. Kill X. Exit X. Do not
start X. Forget X. Ex X.

I now have a white rectangle but it is stationary on the screen.

Thank you for this help, I appreciate it very much and I would like to get Debian going.

Bill.
Okay, so we know for sure the mouse is okay. And if either mouse works on Windows on the "Debian box", we can assume the ps/2 port is okay. Which leaves software.

I see two basic possibilities:
1) kernel issues
2) gpm issues

I believe you said earlier that "cat /dev/psaux" generated garbage as expected, which pretty much eliminates kernel issues. Still, you might be interested in upgrading the kernel (assuming you have 2.2.20 - "uname -a" will report it for you).

More likely, your problem is with gpm (or X, when we get there). Again, I see two basic possibilities:
1) older version of gpm not working right with that particular mouse
2) wrong settings in gpm.

The older version issue is probably not the case; ps/2 mice have been around quite a while. However, you might consider upgrading to unstable if this isn't a box that needs 24x7 uptime (or five 9s - 99.999%).

Mostly likely the protocol is wrong. I don't remember; is this a wheel mouse? If so, try "fuimps2". You can also type "help" when asked for the type during "gpmconfig" for a list of other protocols to try. Experiment and see if you get any motion.

Let us know.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)