Re: Help Please!!

On Monday 25 August 2003 06:10 pm, Kent West wrote:

> Sorry; I guess I didn't make myself clear. Forget completely about X for
> now; in fact, you might want to even disable the graphical login screen
> (add "exit 0" as the first non-comment line in the appropriate script:
> /etc/init.d/gdm or kdm or xdm or wdm and then reboot). Get the mouse
> working in the non-X console first via gpm. Once that's working, then
> you can worry about X.

Did the above, X is now disabled and boots to the command line.

> If I remember correctly, you said this mouse works fine in Windows on
> the same box. I guess that means the mouse has not been
> unplugged/replugged, with the attendant possibilities of broken/bent
> pins, bad connection, etc?

I turned off both of my machines, and took the PS/2 scroll mouse off the
Mandrake unit, and installed it on the dual boot Debian unit. Then booted
them both up again. The one that I took off the Debian unit, that was not
working there, worked fine on the Mandrake unit. The one I took off the
Mandrake machine is stationary on the Debian unit.

> In the text console, using gpm, you should see a white rectangle as your
> mouse pointer. It should function just as a pointer should, only it'll
> be rectangular instead of pointy. Do not try to configure gpm from
> within X! Get out of X completely to do this. Kill X. Exit X. Do not
> start X. Forget X. Ex X.

I now have a white rectangle but it is stationary on the screen.

Thank you for this help, I appreciate it very much and I would like to get
Debian going.

Bill.

William Bradley
Come visit us at: