Re: Today mozilla-firebird Wants To Remove KDE

Hi!

On Sun Aug 24, 2003 at 11:38:06AM -0400, David Crane wrote:
> doesn't look like there is a package that would replace KDE.   It
[...]
> Is there a way to work out what the actual conflict is, and whether
> I will be able to restore the KDE packages?

For now you could hold the kde packages and install aptitude which shows
you which package depends on another and which package is broken in a
nice ncurses gui. It's easier to track dependencies with this tool.

> Should I be bringing this to the attention of the debian-release or
> debian-devel lists?  I would like to contribute in some way.  Since I
> am a UNIX systems analyst by trade, but don't have many cycles
> left over for coding, I think that I could contribute to testing the APT
> package cache database.  I'm also very interested in it.

If a package has broken dependencies and you think this is a bug you
should check the Debian Package Tracking System[1] if there's a newer
version of the package in unstable which fixes this behaviour (hint:
read the Latest News). If you can't find any reference for buggy
dependencies you should read the bugreports[2] for the suspected
package.

If there's no broken dep bugreport filed you can file one with the
reportbug util.

So long
Thomas

  1. http://packages.qa.debian.org/
  2. http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

--
 .''`.  Obviously we do not want to leave zombies around. - W. R. Stevens
: :'  : Thomas Krennwallner <djmaecki at ull dot at>