Re: root login How ???

Robert Storey wrote:
> I know that most Debian users disdain the idea of ever logging in as root,

No, you misunderstand.  It is fine to log in as root.  Especially on
the console.  It is just frowned upon to run a large collection of
unaudited programs such as KDE/Gnome as root.  Does anyone know
exactly the entire list of programs that are run by those window
managers?  Has anyone audited the complete set to make sure they are
root safe?

> The best way I know of to log in as root is to kill gdm and log in
> using text mode.

Instead of killing gdm you should use the linux virtual terminals.
Press CNTL, ALT, F1 at the same time and switch to vt1.  Press ALT,
F7 to get back to your graphical environment.

[Under the console virtual terminals it is just ALT-FunctionKey to
switch terminals.  But that is taken under X11 so there is an
additional CNTL needed when in graphics mode which is not needed in
console mode.  But then recently someone added the ability to work
with CNTL-ALT-FunctionKey the same as ALT-FunctionKey on the console
so I guess that distinction does not matter much anymore.]

Bob