Re: Setting dnsdomainname w/ DHCP client on Debian?

Paul Smith wrote:
> When I plug my Debian laptop in at work and connect to our DHCP network
> it all seems to work: I get DNS servers configured, get a network
> connection where I can surf, ssh to other systems, etc., and everything
> seems fine.
>
> BUT, when I type "dnsdomainname", it says I have no domain name
> configured.

With DHCP this is set in the server, not the client.  The server tells
the client the domain name.  I don't know why your override was not
having affect.

If you set your hostname to the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) I
think it should resolve your problem.

  cp /etc/mailname /etc/hostname

> I need that command to return something because I want to start am-utils
> so I can NFS mount filesystems, and the am-utils startup requires
> dnsdomainname to be set.

Of course am-utils has uses and I have used it for a long time.  But I
think you would be better off using autofs if possible.  The am-utils
package in particular has terrible debconf behavior.  Blech!

  apt-get install autofs

Then as discussed recently make sure you are using the autofs4 module
and not the autofs module.

  echo autofs4 >> /etc/modules
  modprobe autofs4

Bob