Re: root login How ???

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:35:56 -0400,
"Victory" <victorytran@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<[🔎] LAW9-OE41whDCvY3PUK0000d8cd@hotmail.com>:

> I found out that after debian 3.0r1 installed,
> try to login as root and passwd at the GNOME Desktop Manager
> and it said " The system administrator is not allowed to login form
> this screen"
> How to login with root account to run some utility from graphic mode
> ???

..uhoh.  Login as yourself, then pop up a xterm (command line interface
window), possibly looks like a "DOS-window", look for an icon that
looks like a computer screen with a penguin or a sea shell next to it.

..click that xterm icon, and type 'su - ', then root's password.

..then you need to run 'apt-get install newbiedoc', to install
Debian's newbie-docs.  You _need_ them.  _Now_.  _Read_ them.

..now, log out your root xterm cli, with [CTRL]+[d].
Or it will hurt.  Baaadly.

..then try 'apropos man info', 'info man' and 'man info',
and, 'info', from the command line interface (cli).  ;-)

..play around as your normal login user, the reason you cannot log
in as root, is newbies as root, can destroy things, that newbies
logged in as themselves, cannot.  It's called security.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: