Re: /etc/mtab & /etc/modules.conf warning messages on startup

Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> I get the following two warning messages on startup.
> 1) warning: cannot open /etc/mtab. no such file or directory
> and
> 2) warning: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.4.18-686/modules.dep...

I have not tracked down either of those to root cause.  But we all see
those messages.  You can safely ignore them.  Or put up a boot time
splash screen to hide them.

> AFAIC, /etc/mtab is created on startup. Then why the warning in first place?

A guess.  I think this is due to using an initrd (initial ram disk)
kernel and that file is missing from the initrd image.  So what you
are looking at later is not quite what the system was looking at
earlier.

> In the second case, probably it is as a result of running update-modules
> script after I installed a BT878 tv/fm card. Any solutions to my worries?

If you do get to root cause it would be good to file a BTS report on
them to get those annoyances cleaned up on the future.  But I think
this is one of the reasons splash screens are becoming more popular.

Bob