/etc/mtab & /etc/modules.conf warning messages on startup

I get the following two warning messages on startup.
1) warning: cannot open /etc/mtab. no such file or directory
and
2) warning: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.4.18-686/modules.dep...

AFAIC, /etc/mtab is created on startup. Then why the warning in first place?
In the second case, probably it is as a result of running update-modules
script after I installed a BT878 tv/fm card. Any solutions to my worries?

p.s. running woody.

--
Alphonse Ogulla
Nairobi, Kenya