Re: Summary: IBM DB2 installation on Woody

Holger Marzen wrote:
> Some notes for the installation of IBM DB2 v7.1 on Debian Woody
> Holger Marzen, 2003-08-21

Thanks for sharing your notes.  I think that cross distribution
compatibility is one of the important areas for Debian to concentrate
on.

I have some of the same issues you have with libraries.  But I solved
it somewhat differently.

> - make the usual symlinks for "incompatible" RedHat-software:
>   cd /usr/lib
>   ln -s /lib/libncurses.so.5 libncurses.so.4

Instead of doing this I used alien to convert the Red Hat versions of
that library to deb format and then installed the deb.  For this
library alien does a perfect job of it.

And the benefit is that you now have a deb you can install on future
systems that need it.  I keep a local repository with all of the fluff
that needs to be installed on my machines without needing to gather
them from all over.  I create a meta package which I call rh62-compat
which depends upon these libraries.

>   ln -s libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

This one does have a debian equivalent.  This is currently only in
'woody' and has been removed from 'testing' and 'unstable'.

  apt-get install libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1

How does one find these packages?  The Debian package can search the
repositories.  Put the name of the file in that you want to look for
the package that contains it.  So for the above you will find it in
stable but not in testing or unstable.  I now have a cached local
copy.

  http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

If a library needed for Red Hat compatibility ever truly went away
from Debian then I would use alien to convert the rpm over to deb and
install the deb for the reasons stated above.

> To run the control center (db2cc) you have to install java (I used the
> recent sdk from Sun), make the appropriate symlink /usr/bin/java
> (on my machine /usr/bin/java -> /opt/j2sdk_nb/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java).

Note that Blackdown Java is often installed by many Debian users and
it installs an 'alternative' as /usr/bin/java.  Not having tested it
but I would guess that Blackdown's version of Java would handle the
IBM scripts.  In any case, it is useful to know that there may be an
conflict on the /usr/bin/java if one tried to install both.

Bob