Re: opening ports & i feel dumb

Please turn your line wraps on to 72 columns so we don't have to do
linewrap gymnastics to read it.

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 09:37:18PM -0400, amg wrote:
> while looking at "/etc/inet.dconf" and "/etc/services" i see that
> these programs and/or services have to be "declared" or "assigned"
> to a certain port number (or actually vice versa) (side question: is
> my understanding of this false?)

Not entirely.

> i tried to input "edonkey" along with the corresponding port number inside the two aformentioned configurations files
>
> i entered this into "/etc/inetd.conf":
> edonkey       stream  tcp     nowait  amg     /usr/local/bin/edonkey/donkey0.50.1
> (please use your imagination for the other two ports)

Don't add edonkey to inetd, that's just asking for trouble.

> i then rebooted (just to make sure it was read correctly (special
> reminder: i am new at this))

Just reload the daemon you're reconfiguring instead.  In this case,
as root (using su[1]), do /etc/init.d/inetd reload.  If a particular
daemon doesn't have a reload, restart works just as well (though can
potentially take longer).

> i dont have ipchains or iptables installed, so assigning them access
> would accomplish nothing (correct?)

Right.

> so, my question (along with the inter-dispersed) and my assumption
> is i don't have a firewall running on my computer (from what i can
> tell - very bad - but please limit your response to what's coming up
> next)

Personal firewalls aren't.  http://www.samspade.org/d/firewalls.html

Using a reasonably secure OS is more effective than a Windows box
running a personal firewall.  Don't run any network services that you
don't use and you should be OK in Linux.

> do i need to start edonkey as a service to allow it access to listen
> to a port (using it in a certain runlevel and/or a symbolic link
> inside that specific runlevel)?

edonkey has no options to run as a daemon, this won't help.  Programs
will open their own ports as needed.

Try to undo what you've done, and go look through the edonkey faq to
see why you're getting a low-id.  If you're not getting a low-id,
forget about it, nothing's wrong.

Don't feel bad, many people have a rough start.  ESR wrote an essay
entitled "How to ask questions the smart way," which I think is
misnamed.  It really should be, "How to troubleshoot effectively."
Either way, it's on the web here:

Hope this helps!

[1] If you log in as root, break that habit immediately.  Seriously.
Just use su instead, or if you need an X program as root, use su -m

- --
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user
`. `'`