Re: Finishing the Install: Packages

On Friday 22 August 2003 7:23 pm, Chrissy wrote:

> The stage that I am at now is that I have the base system installed and
> running. I loath to get anywhere past the root or user login. I get the
> prompts and such but I cant seem to find or understand, at this point, the
> command structures that I have come across.

From the comand line run the program tasksel, then you will have a menu in
which you sould select to install a desktop environment.

> What I have here is Debian GNU/Linux. The name wirtten on the CD is:
> "Debian Woody".

Yes, that's the debian stable alright.

If you take advices hear one:  Forget Debian stable for now, download knoppix
and have fun with it, learn with it.  It's a live CD but you can also install
it to hard disk without any pain, it's cool and easy, very good looking
desktop, and it's based on debian. What else you can ask for?

Good Luck

Alfredo