Re: (OT) Team programming tools

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:02:31PM +0200, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

> Well, we are a rather small company (25 people) and of those 25
> people, we have 5 programmers, including me.

Much the same situation here.  However, I am lucky enough that one of
the developers is also one of the owners and understands the value of a
CMS solution.

> So basically we do not get time to study these tools because they
> don't see the need for versioning and so on. If we would use it and we
> wouldn't lose time implementing such a system, management wouldn't
> complain. That's why i asked for a quick and easy way to start using
> something like that.

While it may not be ideal, if you are truly interested in using the
tools you can study them and experiment with them on your own time.

While you've had a fair number of responses, here's my take.  I've used
Visual Source Safe, CVS, and Subversion to this point.  Subversion is by
far my favorite.  VSS is really only available on MS based platforms and
thus of no great use to me under Linux.  CVS while available for many
platforms has some short comings WRT to changing directory structure or
file names and history retention.  Subversion on the other hand was a
breeze to setup, available on all needed platforms, addresses many of
the problems with CVS, and as an extra side bonus provides browser based
access to the most current repository revision when combined with
Apache2.  So, now I use Subversion for all my personal development and
the company I work for uses for our internal development as well.

> Additional problem is that one of the programmers hate's commenting
> his code and doesn't like to use tools like a cvs.  But that's a
> different story.

Yes, and one that needs to be addressed.  This programmers lack of
comments and use of a versioning system will most likely hurt the group
as a whole in the long run.

> We would actually be developing faster (reusable code) with these
> tools but somehow they aren't convinced of that.

That is the first hurdle that needs to be addressed.  Otherwise any step
you take toward using the tools will be seen as a waste of the company's
time.

--
Jamin W. Collins