Re: Finishing the Install: Packages

Alfredo Valles wrote:
> On Friday 22 August 2003 7:23 pm, Chrissy wrote:
>
>> The stage that I am at now is that I have the base system installed
>> and running. I loath to get anywhere past the root or user login. I
>> get the prompts and such but I cant seem to find or understand, at
>> this point, the command structures that I have come across.
>

> From the comand line run the program tasksel, then you will have a
> menu in which you sould select to install a desktop environment.
>

>> What I have here is Debian GNU/Linux. The name wirtten on the CD
>> is: "Debian Woody".
>

> Yes, that's the debian stable alright.
>
> If you take advices hear one:  Forget Debian stable for now, download
> knoppix and have fun with it, learn with it.  It's a live CD but you
> can also install it to hard disk without any pain, it's cool and
> easy, very good looking desktop, and it's based on debian. What else
> you can ask for?
>

> Good Luck
>
> Alfredo

if you take advice, that's a whole 'nother story. before you download
anything else, explore woody, one of the all-time best stable releases of debian. take the time to describe what you want to achieve, and don't get put off by the occasional caustic response from the list. the best people here give straight answers, although sometimes it might seem a tad cryptic. you're already on the road. think about the questions, search the archives for answers. by then, if you haven't found the solution, you'll at least have found the question.

ben