Finishing the Install: Packages

Dearest Linux People,

Thank you in advance for your help. I am a newbie with Linux, period.

The stage that I am at now is that I have the base system installed and running. I loath to get anywhere past the root or user login. I get the prompts and such but I cant seem to find or understand, at this point, the command structures that I have come across.

What I have here is Debian GNU/Linux. The name wirtten on the CD is: "Debian Woody".

I now need to continue to install the packages and get a GUI going.

Help!

Chrissy Strawn

---