Re: Setting up the parport

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:05:15AM +0200, Wayne Gemmell wrote:
[...]

| Now for me dmesg shows
|
| parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP(,...)]
| lp0: using parport0 (polling).
| ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
|
| I've missed something I think, any ideas??

What indication do you have that your parport isn't working?

All you need is to load the
    parport
    parport_pc
    lp
modules and the parallel port will work.

To test it, dump some data to /dev/lp0 and you should see the printer
react.  If the printer can handle ASCII input directly you should see
it print[1].  For example,
    # echo -ne 'Hello World\n\f' >> /dev/lp0

HTH,
-D

[1] All non-Apple laser printers I've seen and  old "line" printers
    can handle ASCII text directly.  Apple Laserwriters can only handle
    Postscript.  Many (low-end) inkjets made in the past few years can
    only handle propietary, binary, data streams.

--
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
        --Jim Elliot

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/