Setting up the parport

Hi all

I've been setting up the important things for a while but now I'm getting to
the wants. I want to break away from windows for good and the last thing I
need to do is to get printing to work. I've been battling to get cups working
for a while now and I came across something on the net that makes me think
that I'm looking in the wron places. A user stated that upon start up dmesg
displayed the following

 parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
 parport0: irq 7 detected
 parport0: faking semi-colon
 parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 710C
 lp0: using parport0 (polling).

Now for me dmesg shows

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP(,...)]
lp0: using parport0 (polling).
ppdev: user-space parallel port driver

I've missed something I think, any ideas??

Wayne