Re: exim questions: Filtering extensitons with version 3.35 or How to move from exim 3.35 to 4.2

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:30:19AM +1000, Ivan Wills wrote:
| Hi
| I need to implement mail filters for attachments with dangerous file
| extensions in exim.

| Does any one know how to do this with the version of exim 3.35 which
| comes with Debian Woody?

There are a couple of ways.  One is to use exim's built-in filtering
mechanism.  An incomplete example can be found on exim.org.  It is
incomplete becase not all encodings and variations on MIME headers can
be parsed with a single regular expression.

Another is to use the technique described in
http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/exim-spamassassin/ and
simply replace the spamassassin-specific parts with whatever filter
mechanism you want.

| How hard is it to move exim to version 4.2x under Debian Woody?

Not too hard.  I highly recommend upgrading to version 4.  It is
greatly improved in a number of ways.

| (Do any deb's exist for Woody?)

Not that I am aware of.

HTH,
-D

--
The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/