Re: SCO identifies code?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 06:52:45PM +1200, cr wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 07:14, Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> > > This is broken logic.
> > >
> > > The FSF would have nothing to lose from a closed version of a GPL piece
> > > of software being developed.
> >
> > It's not nothing. Let's say half the users use the FSF/GPL version and
> > half use the closed version. The FSF has just lost half its users. By
> > the FSF's theory half the users have lost their freedom.
>
> No, they've chosen (for some presumably good reason) to use the 'closed'
> version.   They still have the freedom to choose.
>
> The most you can say is, by using non-'free', they're helping (financially)
> the 'closed' version and reducing the user base of the 'free' version.   That
> doesn't matter much so long as the versions remain compatible.
> If it's M$ doing the 'closed' version, of course, we know what would happen -
> copyrighted non-free 'features' get added, after which they try to squeeze
> the free version out.    OTOH, if it's a company with the slightest degree of
> ethics, then the two versions could offer a wider choice to users.

I don't know really. I think Microsoft is representative of the
proprietary software industry. Maybe some companies are better than
others, but it simply makes sense that a company would "try to squeeze
the free version out". Companies are out to make money, if their
business is proprietary software, a compatible Free Software version of
the program is not very good for business.

Bijan