Problem in accessing External URL

Hi there,
I am new to Linux and having problem in accessing external URLs. I'm using a software called iVia it is a virtual library software and having problem in running few scripts. One of the script called PageFetcher which takes a URL as an argument and extract matadata from that URL. When I run this script on local urls it works fine but when I run it on any external URL it waits for a few mints and then returns an error (couldn't retrieve URL.....).
I thought it could be that this programe is not finding my HTTP_PROXY so I edited the environmental variable HTTP_PROXY to my proxy server but still the result is same. strace also doesn't make much sence to me. I can access external websites from web browser but not from this script. any help will be greatly appriciated. I am attaching the output of strace.

Thanx in Advance

Download MSN Messenger V6 today - it's fun, fast and FREE!