Re: SCO identifies code?

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:27:03PM +0100, iain d broadfoot wrote:
> * Bijan Soleymani (bijan@psq.com) wrote:

> > > Why would they care?  They would have their GPLed version, if you
> > > choose to write a closed version, that's your choice.
> >
> > If they didn't care about closed version they wouldn't use the GPL.
>
> This is broken logic.
>
> The FSF would have nothing to lose from a closed version of a GPL piece
> of software being developed.

It's not nothing. Let's say half the users use the FSF/GPL version and
half use the closed version. The FSF has just lost half its users. By
the FSF's theory half the users have lost their freedom.

> If GPL'd(GPLed? which is less stoopid?) _code_ was used, that'd be a
> different issue though.

Agreed that is a different issue. I don't mean to speak for the FSF
again but I can't see how they wouldn't prefer for there not to be a
closed version. I mean the whole essence of the FSF seems to be to make
Free Software, and encourage people to make Free Software.

Bijan