Re: SCO identifies code?

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:34:35AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 12:03:13PM -0400, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> >
> > You can apply this to any case where the employee is writing software
> > in their spare time which is very similar to what they're doing at
> > work.
>
> That doesn't matter.  If the employer doesn't like the employee's
> performance, they can fire them.  However what that employee does on
> their time is theirs.  I work for a PBX vendor, that doesn't mean that
> they can in any way stop me from working on another PBX product on my
> time.  Simply put, what I do on their time is theirs, what I do on mine
> is mine.  I won't sign a contract giving any employer anything else.

Depending on what an employee does it can end up being a conflict of
interest. The example I gave of ebay employees starting their own
auction site is that sort of example.

A lawyer representing both sides in a case would be another. I don't
think any decent lawyer would do this sort of thing.

This only applies if the job is that sort of thing. If someone is a
janitor then janitor'ing somewhere else won't matter that much. It won't
adversely effect their janitor'ing.

> > I have this list filtered into a seperate box, so I do like it if
> > people CC me, there are so many messages that I might miss otherwise
> > miss a reply.
>
> There are headers you can set that most reasonable MUAs will respect
> that will effect this for you automatically (search for Mail-Followup-To)

Cool thanks, will do. Btw when I reply to you I end up with my mail
being to debian-user and no CC to you, is that because of this header?
If so does this mean I don't have to worry about sending CCs to people
who don't want them?

Bijan