Re: Problem with X

Hello

Hooman (<a_linux_newbie@yahoo.ca>) wrote:

> Thanks a lot. Finally, I could boot with Gnome or any
> other Windows manager. Now I have another problem(s).
> First, when I want to login as root from login screen,
> the system doesn't let me in and issues an error
> message. Why is that? I tried other Windows manager
> sessions like X-window, KDE, .. but still I can't
> login as root.

If you try to login on  graphical display manager, you have to change
the config if it doesn't allow you to login as root. How you have to do
this of course depends on the login manager you use.

However, I would recomment not to login as root into a graphical
environment at all. The danger of damaging your system accidentially is
very high. Better login as a normal user and use su or sudo to gain
superuser privileges. If you want to start a X program as root, you can
use some program like kdesu (for KDE, I am sure there is something like
this for Gnome as well).

> Second, how can I change monitor resoloution from
> Gnome menus?
> These are the questions for now. Special thanks to
> Andreas and Glenn

As far as I know, changing the resolution on the fly requires you to use
XFree 4.3. And I think only the latest beta of Gnome 2.4 has an option
in it's control center for doing this. But I may be wrong, I don't use
Gnome at all.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--