Re: net install with eepro100 / 845G

Kevin McKinley wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The 2.4.18 bf24 kernel has the eepro100 driver build in.  The modular
> > kernels need eepro100 in /etc/modules.  Or modprobe it manually and
> > restart networking to avoid needing to reboot.
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of another module, or another kernel. The bf2.4
> kernel used by the Woodyr1 installer has an eepro100 module (eepro100 is not
> built-in).

Oops.  My bad.  I was wrong when I said built-in.  I meant included
with the kernel.  It is normally built as a module there even in the
bf24 kernel.  Thanks for catching that.

The distinction I intended was that the e100 driver was not included
in the distributed kernel until 2.4.20.  (Actually I don't know about
2.4.19 but I know 2.4.20 has it.)  Since the e100 driver corrects some
problems in the eepro100 driver I recommend converting to the e100
driver when possible.  (The eepro100 driver under a heavy load would
sometimes become unresponsive and networking would need to be
restarted in order to reenable it.  This would typically be seen along
with an out of resource message to the syslog.)

Bob