Re: ALS-100 Sound Card and Sid

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:01:23AM -0500, Larry W. Irwin Sr. wrote:
|  During a recent upgrade to Sid, my old ESS-Solo1 sound card died. I do not
| think that the upgrade broke the card. I rummaged through my junk box and
| came up with an Avance Logic ALS-100. After finding out that sndconfig 0.7 is
| broken, I went back to sndconfig 0.68.
|
|   Sndconfig wants to install the sb.o driver for my ALS-100 but it always
| fails when trying to insmod sb.o. Isapnp reports that the card is using
| 0x240, irq 11, dma 3,1.
|
|   cat /proc/interrupts shows that IRQ 11 is not in use.

|   Is sb.o the correct driver for the ALS-100?

Probably not.  The 'sb' driver is only for Sound Blaster cards.

A quick google search reveals that the ALSA drivers support your card :
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-howto/x628.htm
and (probably since ALSA is included in kernel 2.5/2.6) the new
kernels support it too :
    http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.5/5-pre1/sound/isa/als100.c

|   Should I just ditch this dinosaur and buy a modern card?

Install the alsa modules for your kernel and go from there.  I expect
it will work, as long as the hardware isn't damaged :-).

HTH,
-D

--
Windows, hmmm, does it come with a GUI interface that works or just
pretty blue screens?

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/