Re: Joining a windows domain from behind a debian NAT box

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:45:28PM -0400, debianlists@anandatreya.com wrote:
| Well, no - the debian machine is hooked directly up to the external network.
| (It's on the same network as the Windows Domain Controller.)

You'll probably need to set up samba on the debian box and figure out
how to configure it to pass SMB data across subnets.  SMB, like many
ideas from Microsoft, really doesn't scale up.  It depends on limited
broadcasts for operation.  Of course, people who don't know better
will think it is the best because they can just plug the machines in
and the network is there.  However, the limitation is that the SMB
network only operates on the local IP subnet.  I've read that it is
possible to set up cross-subnet broswing for SMB with samba, but I
don't know the details or how onerous it is.

-D

--
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you
rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/