Re: OT: whinging (was Re: rms on debian : background noise)

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:31:39AM +0100, Mark wrote:
| On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 06:21:58PM +1200, cr wrote:
| >
| > Hmm, I rarely heard it used in England (though I haven't lived
| > there for 30+ years), but I've heard it used all the time here in
| > New Zealand, I thought it was a Kiwi-ism.
|
| Whinge has been in common usage for as long as I can recall here (UK).
| Probably the thing to do is for someone with access to check the OED for
| the etymological references.

$ dict whinge
1 definition found

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]:

  Whinge \Whinge\, v. i.
     To whine. [Scot.] --Burns.

This claims that Robbie Burns may have originated it.  (Robbie Burns
wsa a famous Scots poet a few centuries ago)

-D

--
Microsoft DNS service terminates abnormally when it receives a response
to a dns query that was never made.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/