OT: whinging (was Re: rms on debian : background noise)

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:12:01 -0500
rvf@linux.wku.edu ( Rob VanFleet) wrote:

> Congratulations, you just joined the 10% of the net (not faulting those
> who aren't native english speakers) that actually *does* spell "whining"
> right (i.e. not "whinging").  Now, just don't call anybody a "looser"
> and you'll be set. ;-)

Um . . ."whinging" is perfectly correct, at least according to the
Oxford English Dictionary, Merriam-Webster's 11th Ed. Collegiate,
etc.  It may not be in common use in the U.S., but it's used quite
commonly in all other English-speaking countries (including, in
particular, England).

The word "whinge," meaning "to moan fretfully," actually predates
the word "whine."

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)