Re: rms on debian

Obvously we all owe a lot to RMS, but this does not of course mean that we
must agree with him.  He is an idealist, and his solution to the problems
raised by "non-free" software are in my view at one extreme of the spectrum.
I respect his views though I do not entirely agree with them.  His attitude
should not come as a surprise to us.  I am sure most people involved in
Debian are aware of his views and of what must be done or not done to retain
his approval.  We cannot realistically expect to retain such approval when we
choose to depart from his philosophy.  I love the Debian approach, and am
quite simply amazed at the quality of the distribution and the dedication of
those involved.  The decisions which have lead to RMS withholding his
approval are in my view good ones, though once again I respect Richard's
right to disagree, as should we all.

The tension between intellectual property rights and the public benefit of
"free" information is building, and I don't know how it will ultimately be
resolved, not only for Software but in many even more important areas.  Look,
for instance, at pharmaceuticals.  New drugs are developed which are in many
cases too expensive for those who would benefit most.  Yet without the
rewards conferred by patents, it is doubtful that many of these drugs would
have been developed at all.  Yet there is also the question of what advances
are not being made because of the "locking-up" of information.

The ideas of RMS are very important and worthwhile, even if only to provide an
alternative.