Re: cloning Debian?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:12:17 -0500
Gregory Guthrie <guthrie@mum.edu> wrote:

> I have a working system, and want to clone it to a bigger, newer,
> faster one, keeping the old one as a backup...
>
> I looked at a lot of options, (Dolly, G4u, ...) including Cloneit, and
>
> Partimage, but have trouble with both.
>
> Cloneit; http://www.ferzkopp.net/Software/CloneIt/CloneIt.html
> I find is very unreliable, it works for awhile, but the cloned image
> was no good. It also only reports a very small %age of the actual size
> sent that needs to be copied.
> (I am running it from a SystemRecover CD -
> http://systemrescuecd.sourceforge.net/download.en.html ).
>
> Partimage; http://www.partimage.org/
> I find that it works OK for local image save/restore, but for remote
> ("server") usage, it starts, then hangs. E.g. I have a 866 MB /usr, an
> it reports it properly, starts, says it transferred 12MB to remote
> (image save), and then hangs. Remote shows a 105MB .tmp file. Both
> sides are then stuck, need to be "kill"ed. It is repeatable. Since it
> starts, I think it should finish!  :-)
>
> Any ideas on remedies, or other /better ways to do a remote clone?
> I've spent way.... too much time trying things that should work in a
> simple manner!
>
> I can't just do a remote NFS copy of the live (booted) partitions (I
> think).

Have you looked at rsync? Haven't used it personally, but I see it
recommended a lot for that sort of thing.

jkoenig@note:~$ apt-cache show rsync
<snip>
 rsync is a program that allows files to be copied to and from remote
 machines in much the same way as rcp.  It has many more options than
 rcp, and uses the rsync remote-update protocol to greatly speed up
 file transfers when the destination file already exists.
 .
 The rsync remote-update protocol allows rsync to transfer just the
 differences between two sets of files across the network link.

jkoenig@note:~$

--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Rusted Root - Send Me On My Way : When I Woke