cloning Debian?

I have a working system, and want to clone it to a bigger, newer, faster one, keeping the old one as a backup...

I looked at a lot of options, (Dolly, G4u, ...) including Cloneit, and Partimage, but have trouble with both.

Cloneit; http://www.ferzkopp.net/Software/CloneIt/CloneIt.html
I find is very unreliable, it works for awhile, but the cloned image was no good. It also only reports a very small %age of the actual size sent that needs to be copied. (I am running it from a SystemRecover CD - http://systemrescuecd.sourceforge.net/download.en.html ).

Partimage; http://www.partimage.org/
I find that it works OK for local image save/restore, but for remote ("server") usage, it starts, then hangs. E.g. I have a 866 MB /usr, an it reports it properly, starts, says it transferred 12MB to remote (image save), and then hangs. Remote shows a 105MB .tmp file. Both sides are then stuck, need to be "kill"ed. It is repeatable. Since it starts, I think it should finish! :-)

Any ideas on remedies, or other /better ways to do a remote clone?
I've spent way.... too much time trying things that should work in a simple manner!

I can't just do a remote NFS copy of the live (booted) partitions (I think).

Thanks.

Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu