Re: telnet localhost slow, telnet 127.0.0.1 ok

Mental Patient <mental@neverlight.com> wrote:
> RUPERT LEVENE wrote:

>> Indeed. Netcat and galeon appear to do the right thing too, while
>> telnet, lynx and links all suffer from a delay. (I first noticed
>> the problem using lynx). My guess at the moment is that the
>> combination of a slow machine and a slow nameserver is exposing an
>> odd bug in these programs. Although I would be surprised if this
>> was the case since telnet and lynx have such a long pedigree...

> And you're sure these aren't socks clients?

I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about socks :-). Please could
you explain why this may affect the resolution of localhost using a
nameserver rather than /etc/hosts, and what may be done to work around
it? I'm not running a firewall here, if that's at all relevant -- it's
a NAT setup behind an adsl router (which is also acting as a proxy
nameserver).

Rupert