Re: telnet localhost slow, telnet 127.0.0.1 ok

    "Rupert" == RUPERT LEVENE <levene@unix.lancs.ac.uk> writes:

    Rupert> Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk> wrote:
    >> On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 12:25:16AM +0100,
    >> r.levene@lancaster.ac.uk wrote:
    >>> Running strace telnet localhost 22 shows that it's trying to
    >>> resolve the hostname localhost by querying the nameserver. I
    >>> thought that shouldn't happen with my setup, though.

    >> Does your /etc/host.conf contain order hosts,bind

    Rupert> Yes, it does. Sorry

I did not see the original post, but the other thing you must have is
that /etc/hosts must resolve local host to 127.0.0.1 too, along the
lines of

127.0.0.1       localhost

Make sure this is the *first line* that resolves localhost. If you've
checked /etc/host.conf you've probably done this too, but it never
hurts to ask.....

Cheers!
Shyamal