Re: telnet localhost slow, telnet 127.0.0.1 ok

    "Rupert" == RUPERT LEVENE <levene@unix.lancs.ac.uk> writes:

    Rupert> Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >> to >>> resolve the hostname localhost by querying the
    >> nameserver. I >>> thought that shouldn't happen with my setup,
    >> though.

    Rupert> Yes, it does.

    >> I did not see the original post, but the other thing you must
    >> have is that /etc/hosts must resolve local host to 127.0.0.1
    >> too

    Rupert> Yes, I have this. Here is another list of things I think
    Rupert> could be relevant.

Hi Rupert,

The mystery deepens since I looked at your configs and compared with
mine, and they are the same. The thing is, uh, when I run strace I see
the same thing happen. I can see a query going to my local name
server.

I've never noticed this because (a) I don't use telnet and (b) my
nameserver responds quickly enough that I don't notice any wierd
delay.

Now I'm really interested in the solution for your problem. Sorry I
can't give you a solution ;-)

Incidentally, ssh does not do this odd lookup and works exactly how
I'd have expected telnet to.

Cheers!
Shyamal