Printing help, please.

Hi all,
I am having trouble getting my printer to function under Debian.
First off, my printer is a Lexmark 1020 color inkjet.
I installed Cupsys, cupsys-bsd, and a few other cupsys related packages.
I installed the ppd file for my printer from the Linuxprinting.org site.
I rtfm'd several times and I'm still getting nowhere, lpstat shows my printer
as existing, the boot-up screen shows my printer as attached to lp0 and
gives the correct make & model.
I am using wdm for my display manager but didnt think that would have
any affect.

when I go to http://localhost:631/admin I see several print jobs that are 'aborted'
these are the test pages I've tried to run.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
tia,
mw