Re: Win machine cannot print to a linux printer (cups)

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 08:05:17PM +0200, Joan Tur wrote:

> Es Dissabte 16 Agost 2003 14:47, en David Fokkema va escriure:
> > On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 07:48:54PM +0200, Joan Tur wrote:
> > >
> > > Hallo!
> > >
> > > I cannot print from a windows computer to a printer shared using cups.
> > > Security is set in samba to "user", user name & pwd are the same in both
> > > computers and the XP computer sees the printer and I'm able to add it.
> > >
> > > But when I try to print out a test page it says it hasn't been able to
> > > create the job.
> >
> > What is the exact error message and which program generated the error
> > message (your editor or XP printing subsystem)?
> It was the XP printing subsystem.  I opened printer's properties and tryed to
> print a test page.  Error message was (originally spanish) "Test page not
> printed.  Couldn't create printer job".

Good, then we might be able to fix it on the server side.

> > > The only logs on the linux computer are in /var/log/samba/log.nmbd:
> > > - -------
> > > [2003/08/15 17:30:52, 0]
> > > nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(237)
> > >   find_response_record: response packet id 31530 received with no
> > > matching record.
> > > - -------
> >
> > Is this exact error message generated every time you send a job to the
> > printer?
> Yes.  There's also something logged in log.quinipt (the win computer name):
> - -------
> [2003/08/16 19:03:44, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(589)
>   quinipt (192.168.0.4) Can't change directory to /var/spool/cups (Permission
> denied)
> - -------
>
> It appears when starting XP... and I've tryed also changing that directory's
> rights  8-?

This is even better, ;-)

> > > And raw jobs are available in cups...
> >
> > What do you mean?
> Last time I set up samba on a mandrake computer I had to make available raw
> printing (/etc/cups/mime.convs & mime.types) in order for the windows
> computers to print  8-?

Interesting. I don't have raw printing enabled in woody cups. The _only_
thing I have done to make cups work with windows 98 (XP might behave
differently? I don't know) was to uncomment / change these lines in
/etc/samba/smb.conf:

[global]
printing = cups
printcap name = cups

I didn't have permission problems or anything like that. If you have
these lines already in your smb.conf, please try to print something from
your server instead of from a windows client. That way we can check if
the problem is related to cups or to samba. Just print a small text file
or something like that.

> > Also, have you tried not sending a test page, but just printing from,
> > say, Word?
> Yes.  It has shown me 2 different error messages:
> 1. "Couldn't call StartDocPrinter", trying to print a test page out
> 2. Using wordpad: "could not start printing"

Ok, then it must be XP <-> samba/cups, and not XP itself.

BTW, I cc-ed this to the list, maybe someone else has something to add.

David

--
Happy Birthday, Debian!
August 16, 1993