Re: USB mouse phantom devices

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:00:22 +0200, Jonathan Brandmeyer wrote:

[configuring USB HID mouse]
> I'm using the stock 2.4.21 kernel on Sid with separately compiled
> openafs and nvidia modules.  The required USB drivers are installed in
> the running kernel (hid, usbcore, usb-uhci, input).

Doesn't one need usbmouse also? I'm not sure.

> However, X cannot open /dev/input/mice with the error "no such device".
> I tried `cat /dev/input/mice` and received the same error... but `ls
> /dev/input` shows that it is there!

"no such device" doesn't mean the device node is missing; it means Linux
doesn't know what device it should connect with that node.

Please post the output of ls -l /dev/input/mice. Maybe the device file has
been damaged. It should display the numbers 13, 63 (major/minor number) in
the size column. Try loading usbmouse first, though :-)

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!