Re: Anyone installed sarge?

> When I tested debian-installer recently, I was told that the net
> install images are *really* crufty and what you're testing is a
> several-month-old floppy-on-a-CD that doesn't work well.  Of obvious
> note:

In the root of the CD:

$ tail -1 README.mirrors.txt
Last modified: Wed Aug  6 18:52:45 2003             Number of sites listed: 334

so it's younger then 10 days.

> > * One of the systems systems has an eepro100, it doesn't detect that the
> > e100 driver works with it.
>
> This *is* detected by the full debian-installer CD.

And I tried two different cards controlled by the e100/eepro100 driver
and it detected neither.  The handy one it didn't detect is:

    Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 65).
      IRQ 9.
      Master Capable.  Latency=66.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd0200000 [0xd0200fff].
      I/O at 0x3000 [0x303f].

> I still don't recommend debian-installer for those who aren't brave
> and have noticable Debian experience, though.

I agree.  Though I am not brave, I have enough extra systems laying
around my office than it don't really matter.

>  When I tested it, APT
> on the chroot got stuck installing base packages, and I couldn't
> install anything (say, a kernel or a boot loader).  I was able to
> recover to a working system because I had another disk I could boot
> off of with GRUB on it and was comfortable using the chroot, but if
> that sentence scares you d-i is probably a little bleeding-edge for
> you.  :-)

it does scare me, but I've done similar things to save systems, but the
paycheck gives me courage when needed.  But It didn't even start to
download files so chroot'n would not help.

Thanks for the idea though!

  Sven