Re: Anyone installed sarge?

Sven Heinicke <sven@nec-labs.com> writes:

> I download the _Official net install images for the "testing" release_
> about once a month for a few months now, todays (August 13th) was the
> closest I have gotten to getting an install working:

When I tested debian-installer recently, I was told that the net
install images are *really* crufty and what you're testing is a
several-month-old floppy-on-a-CD that doesn't work well.  Of obvious
note:

> * One of the systems systems has an eepro100, it doesn't detect that the
> e100 driver works with it.

This *is* detected by the full debian-installer CD.

I still don't recommend debian-installer for those who aren't brave
and have noticable Debian experience, though.  When I tested it, APT
on the chroot got stuck installing base packages, and I couldn't
install anything (say, a kernel or a boot loader).  I was able to
recover to a working system because I had another disk I could boot
off of with GRUB on it and was comfortable using the chroot, but if
that sentence scares you d-i is probably a little bleeding-edge for
you.  :-)

	-- Abra Mitchell