Re: Woody vs. Sarge vs. You've heard this before ;-)

Aaron,

This is what I do, and it seems relativly 'safe'.

I have a copy of the LordSutch.com ISOLUNUX mini-ISO image.
I start the install using it, answering 'yes, use the cd-rom as an install
source for the base system'. Then when it comes to select apt-sources
I pick my sources then choose the 'edit by hand' option and change stable
to unstable. Tasksel and dselect use the unstable Package list and I get
to install the latest Deb packages, including Kernels. An apt-get
dist-upgrade
makes sure my base system is updated. When asked, I replace all files with
the ones provided in the package because I haven't configured anything yet
anyway.

I know your question was about Testing, and I answered with Unstable.
You can do the same thing to go to testing if you want, but I don't
reccomend it. Don't do testing unless you're just doing a package or two
mixed with stable until they do a freeze on testing. Just because a package
is in testing doesn't mean it's ready for use. You can search the archives
for more on this, but the basic idea I got from people is that unstable is
a better choice than testing if you want to try out the new packages.

The LordSuch.com link found at http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
has been broken for a couple of weeks. It doesn't matter, the general
idea should be able to be adopted to any other stable CD-ROM or
installation setup. There is a testing install CD ISO on that page as well.
I have no experiance with it. Someone might already have a net install
CD-ROM 'boot floppy' that will use testing or unstable for the base
install, I don't know. The steps I described work well for me. It has
worked every time (approaching a dozen installs.)

Jacob
jacob@cachevalley.com