Re: No modem beep with pon

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 04:36:22PM +0200, Oliver Fuchs wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using pppd and pon/poff to get internet access on Debian woody.
> What happened is that I hit a key on my keyboard while I was dialing in with
> pon ... and from then on I do not receive any modem beeping like I did
> before.
> Does anybody know the key combination to unsilent (make it noisy again) my
> modem again?

  I guess that a better description for beeps would be all kind of
whistles, doesn't it? I would try to inspect the modem initialization
string and explicitly set the controls of the speaker to on. It could be
that your modem use the PC built in speaker. However I don't know what
control characters have to be given in the terminal in order to switch
it on or off.
  Can you hear the modem when sending faxes or when dialing out with
other apps like minicom?
--

    Shaul Karl,    shaul @ actcom . net . il