Re: Yet another HDIO_SET_DMA failed problem

(I don't see a way to put on a References: line in pine.  I'm sorry
for screwing the threading.)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 tmcd@panix.com wrote:
> >     hdparm -d 1 -k 1 /dev/hda
> >     HDIO_SET_DMA failed: operation not permitted
>
> do you know what the "-k 1" setting does ???

    -k Get/set the keep_settings_over_reset flag for the drive.  When
       this flag is set, the driver will preserve the -dmu options
       over a soft reset, (as done during the error recovery
       sequence).

> do you know if the disk drive supports that option ??

It does not appear to be a drive option; it seems to be a driver
option.  I tried "-d 1" without "-k 1" as well.

> > if my scrawled notes are to be trusted.  One person had
> > recommended that the second line indicated that the alim15x3
> > module needed to be loaded.  I did, and bandwidth dropped from 4
> > MB/s to 1 MB/s!
>
> looks like the alim15x3 module is the right choice ..

Would you please explain that?  I just wrote that I tried it and
bandwidth DECREASED by a factor of 4.  That hardly seems like the
correct driver.

> you might also need to check other disk options
> 	- what other options is set or not set
> 	- what other disks is connected on the same ide cable

As I mentioned in my original e-mail:

    (Other parameters (-c, -u, -A, -a, -m) have no noticable effect on
    the speed reported by "hdparm -t", whether under my normal kernel
    or under Knoppix.)

The only other drive on that cable is a CD drive, which sat idle
during the tests.  I didn't touch the cable while switching between
Knoppix and my Debian kernel, so I don't see how that could be a
factor.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com; tmcd@us.ibm.com is my work address