Re: Wierd apt-get error?

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:23:33 -0600 (MDT)
Bruce Sass <bsass@edmc.net> wrote:
> remove the "stable" entries from your sources.list... it is very
> unlikely you have any stable packages installed because unstable
> contains newer versions

    Quite untrue and very bad advice.  If one is riding testing or unstable it
is best to have stable to fall back on.  Sometimes it is just far easier to
downgrade to what stable has because it works.  In fact I have several
packages sitting on stable because I do not want to go through the hassle of
figuring out why the versions in testing or unstable do not work with other
hardware or the versions in testing and unstable have bugs which prevent their
use that is critical to me.

> get more RAM

    Doesn't help if he doesn't configure Apt to use it.

> create another swap partition

    Nope, he's not running out of RAM.

> create a swap file

    See above.

> don't post HTML... nothing to do with the update problem, but making
> us downloading a 17K message when a couple of K would do is just not
> very nice

    Oooo, let's not get snarky, oh top-posting non-trimming one.  :P