Re: CD access prob

On Sunday 10 August 2003 14:00, Richard Lyons wrote:
> My CD says
>    Could not mount device.
>    The reported error was:
>    mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>
> fstab entry looks reasonable to me:
>
> /dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
>
> And, if that is not enough, the CDRW says
>    Could not mount device.
>    The reported error was:
>    mount: only root can mount /dev/scd0 on /cdrw
>
> I've given permissions on /cdrw.  What have I forgotten here?

Seeing the device names, I don't think you're using devfs. So you'll have to
make sure some things are set right in /dev:

/dev/cdrom should be a link to whatever device the drive is, like /dev/hdX (or
if you have SCSI drives something like /dev/scdX). A wrong link is probably
the cause for you being unable to mount /cdrom. Also make sure that the
devices - not only the links - have proper rights.

Do you have a fstab entry for the CDRW? You must have entries for all
user-mountable drives in there. Something like this should work (basically a
copy of the CD's entry):

/dev/scd0 /cdrw  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0

If you're up to it, you could try installing devfs which gives a /dev/cdroms/
directory in which the drives are enumerated.

--
Got Backup?