Re: Newbie Modem Q

You need ahardware modem.  Most any USR modem will be fine.  They do make internal pci hardware modems as well.

Chris Share <cpsmusic@labyrinth.net.au> wrote:

I've just installed Debian 3.0 r1 on my PC. I'm a musician so I'd like to
use it for recording and various musical tasks.

The PC runs Windows98/2000 and has an internal SwannSmart II modem (on a
PCI card).

One of the programs I'd like to use, requires Debian "Unstable", so I'd
like to move to the unstable release. I assume I need a working modem to do

Is it correct that internal modems won't work with Debian?

In that case, I'll need to get an external modem.

Is there any particular type of modem that I need to get?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris Share