Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 07:48:56PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 01:34:45PM -0300, Anthony Rowe wrote:
> > I feel someone should contact Marco d'Itri who runs the bofh.it
> > gateway, and ask his opinion about automating that small message about
> > the gateway being Read-Only.  I am happy to do this (in the next week
> > or two) and get back to the list.  How does that sound?
>
> Well, do you want to do it, or should I?  It's pretty reasonable to
> assume that the news servers are propagating to each other.

Please go ahead and do it Paul.

There is usually a one-line description of a newsgroup which is
displayed beside one's personal list of subscribed newsgroups.  It
gives a very short summary of what the newsgroup is supposed to be
about.  If linux.debian.user had the description, "Read-Only.  Please
subscribe to mailing-list to post", or some such, this would do the
trick I think.  This is maybe what Karsten was referring to when he
mentioned that "newsgroup descriptions" are the proper repository for
such a message.  (I just thought of this.  I'll ask him in a sec.  I
was trying to think what he meant by that.)

Tony